IVF in Italy
Among the various profiles and high-quality centers in Italy, aimed at comprehensive support of health, special attention is paid to artificial insemination (IVF), which is represented in the leading medical centers of the country.
The process of artificial insemination takes place in stages:
1. Consultation with a doctor, passing all tests, a full examination.
2. Hormonal stimulation of the patient, used to form several follicles at once
3. Extraction of follicles. The eggs are removed by aspiration, under general anesthesia.
4. Sperm collection of a man or donor.
5. Follicles are sorted, the most healthy are fertilized and placed in a thermostat for 24 hours.
6. If conception has occurred, then the highest quality embryos are selected in the laboratory; they are diagnosed. From 2 to 5 embryos are prepared for implantation, the rest are stored in case the first attempt fails. For this, the embryos are exposed to cryotherapy.
7. In the next step, the embryos are implanted in the uterus.
8. After about 12 days, a pregnancy test is performed. If pregnancy has occurred, the patient should undergo an ultrasound scan to determine the number of implanted embryos. If more than 1-2 embryos have taken root, then the extra ones are removed, since multiple pregnancy reduces the likelihood of a successful bearing.
Q: What medical documents should be submitted to the clinic to determine the possibility of conducting an IVF procedure with you?
A: For men, a spermogram, for women - the latest ultrasound and an extract from a gynecologist. We also recommend that the couple undergo fertility screening.
Q: How long is it recommended to come?
A: Usually you need to arrive for 18 days.
Q: What associated costs should I expect?
A: This is air travel, medical insurance, pharmaceuticals, renting an apartment, or hotel reservation, personal expenses.
Q: How many IVF attempts can be made and how often?
A: There are no specific criteria, but the woman’s reproductive system must fully recover after an unsuccessful IVF attempt and hormonal stimulation is not indifferent to the body, so at least one full menstrual cycle must pass between IVF attempts.
Q: How old can I do IVF?
A: The younger the woman’s age, the statistics show that there is a greater chance of success. In most countries, IVF is allowed up to 40 years, exceptions are Spain and Greece, in Russia there is also no age limit.
Q: Can I choose the gender of the unborn child?
A: In order to choose the gender of a child, PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis) is necessary, but in many countries this is prohibited by law.
Q: Can I have sex during IVF?
A: The IVF infertility treatment program consists of several stages, which can take a lot of time. Having sex during the entire period is not contraindicated, but you must use a condom. With the onset of stimulation of folliculogenesis, the intensity of sexual intercourse should be reduced to avoid the risk of rupture of growing follicles. The last sexual intercourse should occur no later than 3-4 days before transvaginal ovarian puncture. Further, before puncture and 2 weeks after embryo transfer, sexual rest is recommended.
Q: Do I need to somehow prepare for the IVF procedure - follow a diet, take vitamins, treat infections?
A: Of course, as with an independent pregnancy. Together with the doctor, a preparation scheme is being developed depending on concomitant diseases, the presence in the history of episodes of miscarriage and gynecological diseases.
Even the most complex problems associated with infertility can be solved at the modern level and with maximum safety.
- University Hospital of Rome Campus Bio-Medico
- IVF Center San Donato
- San Donato Center for Obstetrics and Gynecology
IVF cost in Italy
Cost of IVF procedures is 7000 euro.