Departments of Vascular Surgery of San Donato Cardiology Center, Milan, Italy
- Open and endovascular surgery of the aorta and its branches
- Arterial surgery of the carotid and precerebral arteries
- Reconstructive surgery of lower limb arteries
- Surgery for severe arteriovenous malformations
- Surgery of vein diseases
Methods of surgery
Patients are offered the most innovative methods of surgery for aortic aneurysm, using both traditional methods and endoprosthetics, as well as minimally invasive techniques.
Operations are performed in all parts of the aorta: from chronic ischemia of the lower extremities and the preservation of ischemic limbs to pathologies of the carotid arteries.
In addition, operations on the veins are performed using modern methods that can to carry out on an outpatient basis (radio frequency methods).
Medical specialists have extensive experience in the surgical treatment of severe arteriovenous malformations and endovascular reconstructive aortic surgery.
The main goal of the Department of Vascular Surgery at the San Raffaele Research Hospital is to improve the quality and life expectancy of patients with vascular diseases, which are currently widespread. Ability to develop individual treatment plan for each patient thanks to the close cooperation of specialists in the field of diagnosis, clinical treatment, surgery and interventional cardiology, makes the department
leading not only in Europe but throughout the world.
All this was made possible thanks to close cooperation with the University of Vita-Salute San Raffaele, which provided the necessary support for clinical and applied research, and also organizing and participating in clinical / trial experiments.
In 2014, 500 operations were performed at the San Raffaele Clinic, including: 250 arterial, 50 aneurysms, supra-aortic trunks: 80, peripheral reconstructive operations: 70.
At the San Donato Research Clinic, 186 operations were performed on the aorta, 234 operations on the carotid artery, 496 operations on the peripheral vessels, and 31 other operations.
Department of Vascular Surgery
- Aneurysms of the thoracic, abdominal and thoracoabdominal aorta and lower extremities;
- Wall-obstructive aortic diseases, iliac arteries, lower limbs;
- Acute and chronic dissections of the thoracoabdominal aorta;
- Diseases of the supra-aortic trunks (stenosis of the carotid artery, stenosis of the vertebral and subclavian arteries, glomus diseases);
- Diseases of the aortic arch;
- Diseases of the upper thoracic region;
- Diseases of the visceral arteries (celiac trunk, superior mesenteric artery, renal arteries, arcuate ligament syndrome);
- Superficial and deep venous diseases of the lower extremities;
- Abdominal venous diseases (inferior vena cava syndrome, aorto-mesenteric forceps syndrome);
- Multidisciplinary treatment of critical lower limb ischemia (medical therapy, endovascular treatment, bypass surgery, spinal cord stimulants)
- Surgical correction of aneurysms using traditional or endovascular methods
- Elimination of blockage of the carotid bifurcation
- Elimination of blockage of the arteries of the lower extremities and aneurysms of the lower extremities
- Surgery for the correction of thoracic aortic aneurysms using an endoprosthesis
- Hybrid surgery on the thoracic and abdominal aorta
- Shunting of chronic lower limb ischemia
- Complex angiodysplasia
- Safenectomy and obliteration of varicose veins using radio frequencies
- Specialized outpatient examination
- Doppler ultrasonography of supraaortic trunks
- Doppler sonography of the aorta and iliac arteries
- Doppler ultrasonography of the arteries of the upper and lower extremities
- Doppler ultrasonography of the abdominal veins and veins of the lower extremities
- CT angiography with reconstruction
- MRI angiography
Key facts and technologies
- When carrying out endovascular and hybrid surgical operations, specialists can use an advanced brightness enhancement device
- Ultrasound equipment for the treatment of serious vascular malformations
- 3 outpatient clinics offering minimally invasive methods of innovative Doppler ultrasound diagnostics;
- Medical research using state-of-the-art synchronization software and planning procedures;
- Operating rooms for all types of pathologies and surgical operations, each of which is equipped block angiography and Doppler ultrasound equipment
- Clinic-accessible neurostimulation allows you to program and control stimulants spinal cord implanted to control patients suffering from chronic pain, which cannot be controlled with medication;
- Regular outpatient examination of patients suffering from arterial, venous and lymphatic trophic lesions.