Department of bariatric surgery at the University Hospital of Rome
Bariatric surgery is a great way to treat obesity. The operation is recommended for patients with a body mass index of 40 kg / m2 or higher, with a body mass index of 35-40 kg / m2 recommended for patients with certain concomitant diseases, in which the patient's condition improves with weight loss (diabetes, osteoarthritis, hypertension and others). Persons with a high body mass index have a much greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, many cancers, asthma and chronic problems of the musculoskeletal system. Patients with overweight and obesity in this treatment can get rid of a significant amount of extra pounds, and for many bariatric surgery is their last hope.
The program "Bariatric Surgery" of the University Hospital of Rome offers a comprehensive approach to this problem. Before the operation, the endocrinological and food counseling of the doctor must be conducted to ensure the success of the treatment. And also necessarily postoperative observation, which depends on the type of operation.
Chief of the bariatric department of the University Clinic of Rome - Dr. Vincenzo Bruni:
- Member of the Italian Society of Bariatric Surgery (SICOb)
- Member of the International Federation of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders Surgery (IFSO).
Prices and description of bariatric procedures
1) Gastric Band
This is a laparoscopic operation, in which an inflatable silicone device is installed around the upper part of the stomach. This helps to reduce the amount of food consumed. This operation is reversible, since it is not connected with the removal of any organs.
The price: 19000 euros.
2) Sleeve Gastrectomy
This is a surgical procedure, which can also be performed minimally invasively. The procedure reduces the size of the stomach to about 10% of its original volume and leads to a limited ability to eat. Patients feel full even after taking a very small amount of food. This operation permanently reduces the size of the stomach and is irreversible.
The price: 21200 euros.
3) Gastric Bypass Surgery (GBP)
With this laparoscopic operation, the stomach is divided into two parts: a small upper and a much larger lower one, and then the small intestine is rearranged to connect with both. This operation leads to a significant decrease in the functional volume of the stomach.
The price: 21200 euros.
- Welcome service at the Airport
- Transportation, including airport, hotel or Hospital
- Hospital stay (as required)
- Treatment by Head Physician
- Medication while on location
- All medical related costs
- Single room (whole period)
- Accomodation for an host
Benefits of bariatric surgery
- Laparoscopic bariatric surgery practically does not require rehabilitation and a long stay in the hospital
- Significant weight loss is achieved
- Improves the cardiovascular system
- Remission is achieved with sleep apnea problems
- Success with type 2 remission
Statistics of the Department of Bariatric Surgery at the University Hospital of Rome
- 2310 bariatric surgical operations per year
- 746 Gastric Bypass Surgery
- 801 Sleeve Gastrectomy
- 534 Gastric Band
- 39 Mini Gastric Bypass
Send an application: